This weekend I had the honor of witnessing my beautiful Bella Doveface vow her love to her special person.
It was perfection.
And the quick trip, my first road trip with a friend (yes I’m 30), was so good to my soul.
Bad for my waistline…I devoured the MOST amazing cheeseburger of my life at 2:30 a.m. and a crap ton of other fast food. No shame. No regrets.
Hell, even that was good for my soul.
And all of this soul pampering is represented in that octopus. Strange how the weirdest things can reignite those embers.
It was a cathartic couple of days and reminded me of how blessed I am, and how silly I can be.
Here’s what that little Octopus reminded me of:
1. In love, in life, in friendships you really do get back what you put in. It’s all hard work, but it’s worth it.
2. You own your happiness. It is ultimately in your hands. It’s so easy to put this responsibility onto others, but it’s between you and God to get it straight. Not your spouse, not your family, not your friends.
3. “The grass is greener where you water it.” Though I super dislike this cliché, it’s true. In this world, things often look shiny and desirable from a distance and it’s generally just because we don’t possess it. Greed manifests itself many ways.
4. Nourishing yourself – mentally, physically, spiritually is vital to your happiness. Hobbies are good.
5. Travel. Your mind clears up in different weather, different terrain. A drive can ease pain, both real and imagined. Distance from a routine can revitalize. A trip can renew your faith and determination to come back and be better.
6. Sometimes you need a good ole smack in the face to put down your stupidity, and pick up your gratitude.
7. The Devil’s chatter is only as loud as you allow it to be. Find the mute button.
8. Loving someone constantly is a constant choice. It’s not simple, it’s not even natural some days. Worth it…every.single.day.
9. You never know what you truly mean to someone. A phone call, a card, a tearful kiss on the cheek, a six-hour drive, it could all mean the world to someone.
10. A smile can get your far.
Most of these beautiful truths were donated to me by my Doveface. And most of all of them I’ve always known, just needed to hear again or figured out on my weekend journey.
That Octopus is proof that revelations can hit you anywhere if you’re open, likely if there’s bourbon nearby. 😉
But most importantly that sea creature reminded me how beautiful life really is. I never imagined myself roadtripping with my love and my Ludo to a 1920s Speakeasy, drinking spiked lemonade, strolling to a park to witness love in front of a fountain, and leaving with ridiculous amounts of gorgeous, handmade pottery.
Ride the waves.